Sunday, March 24, 2013

why i am nervous

I have this thing called the TVU test today.
TVU = Tamil Virtual University. Basically, Tamil is this foreign language I'm learning and I'm at an "advanced" level so I have to do this extra course and take a test which is REALLY hard which is why I AM GOING TO FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!
But I still have issues with reading. I can speak and understand and write just fine, but reading is just so hard. There are so many letters you need to memorize. Like, there are 12 "vowels" (உயிர் எழுத்துகள்) and 18 "consonants" (மெய் எழுத்துகள்) and all the other letters are combinations of consonants and vowels. (உயிர்மெய் எழுத்துகள்). So that's 246 letters I need to know.
There are two letters for the "ra" sound (ர and ற) but the first one is "soft" and the second is "hard". And there are three "na" letters (ண, ந, and ன,) but the second one normally goes at the beginning of a word, and the first one is "hard" and the third AND second are "soft".
There's a lot of other stuff like that which I keep forgetting. Like, vowels can only go at the beginning of a word, not anywhere else. So if you have to combine two words and the second one starts with a vowel, you have to make a combination of the consonant "ya" (ய) and that vowel and put that in the middle of the word instead of the vowel.
Oh, and conjunctions are weird. There's no word for "and," but there's a suffix (um/உம் ) that goes at the end of each of the words you're joining (like in "the cat and the rat," the words would be "cat" + "rat") and based on the last letter of the words, you have to modify the suffix.
Basically, it's confusing and there are too many rules.
I'm gonna fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write stuff!