Wednesday, July 24, 2013

writing a book

Yeah. That's exactly what I'm attempting to do. My writing isn't as good as it could be, though, and I'm focusing too much on how many words I have (as of now, just over 5000) instead of how good my work is.

This writing thing is slowly taking over my life. Whenever I'm bored, I just go to my room, blast music through my headphones, and write a few chapters. I have to beg my parents for permission to work on my book. If I can't get more than 600 words in a day, I end up hating myself and going on a crazy writing spree the next day. I've never been this... passionate about anything before. It's a little weird.

I'm starting to think my characters are real people, too. I named a character Isa, after the name that Anchal goes by. (I had permission.) The Isa in my book is cursed to be trapped in the body of a cat, so whenever I see Anchal, or even email her, I have to resist the urge to say, "Why aren't you a cat? I thought you were still cursed." If I actually said something like this, it would lead to a very awkward conversation.

When I first started this, last week, I thought it would be just a nice, innocent little summer project. The kind of thing that wouldn't invade my thoughts, that I wouldn't really care too much about. I guess I'm wrong. After I finish all 15000 words of this book, I'll stick to short stories... 

2 comments:

Write stuff!