Saturday, August 4, 2012

Just Another Adventure: A Poem



Though no one wants me to
I dive off the rock
Splashing into the crystal-clear water
Swimming effortlessly toward the waterfall.
My friend is looking on, 
Trying to distract me, to get me back to shore
Warning me that I can't fight the current
And that I'll die a watery death.
But I ignore her
It's not impossible
Just another adventure.

When my arms are weak, my legs aching,
I grab hold of a nearby boulder
But I'm forced to let go
The waterfall current sweeps me under
I've almost drowned
But my friend on shore is watching
She tries to get help
But no one is listening
I am left to die, as she said

I try fighting the current
Swimming against it
And I succeed.
Almost.
The fight is over
But I've survived.
I retreat, not wanting to explore for longer
If it means that I'll drown.

This was a year ago
If I tried now, I'd be able to fight the current
And survive
Not retreat.
During that year, so much has happened
But I remember this one event
Like it was yesterday.


Thanks for reading! next up is: the other book, which actually has 5 parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write stuff!